Ginger (grated) 1 tbsp
Green chillies (finely diced) 6
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Salt 1½ tsp or to taste
Curry leaves 5 sprigs
Cilantro leaves 1 tbsp (finely cut)
Lemon juice 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Chana dal t tbsp
Cashew nuts 6 or 8 (optional)
oil 2 tbsp
- Boil the potatoes till well cooked, cool in water and peel them. Mash the potatoes coarsely to get crumbled texture.
- Heat oil in a wok and temper the mustard seeds. As they start spluttering, add chana dal and as color starts changing add the finely diced chillies, turmeric powder, and curry leaves, and saute for a few seconds. Add ginger, cashew pieces and saute for a minute on a low flame.
- Add the mashed potatoes and saute for a minute or so and add salt and cook on low fire keeping the wok covered.
- When the mix has blended well remove from fire and garnish with coriander leaves and add lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve when hot. Makes an excellent side dish foe Vengaya sambhar.