Potatoes ½ kg
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
chana dal 1 tbsp
Cooking oil 2 tbsp
Ingredients for spice mix
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Red chilli powder 1 tsp
Cumin powder ¾ tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Amchur 1 tsp or curds 1 tbsp
Slat 1 tsp
Rice flour/gram flour(besan) 1 tbsp
- Boil the potatoes in water till cooked and dice the peeled potatoes into ½” pieces.
- Transfer all the ingredients for the spice mix in a wide bowl and add a spoon or two of water to make a semi-liquid paste. Add the diced potatoes to the mix and coat them well with the spice mix using a wooden spatula.
- Let the mix marinate for about 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok and let the mustard seeds crackle. Lower the flame and add chana dal and wait for it to turn golden in color. Transfer the marinated mix from the bowl and cook on low flame for the curry to turn crisp.
- Garnish with curry leaves.
If you like to flavor with onions, add finely diced onion (medium-sized) to the tempered mix and saute till transparent. Add te marinated mix after sauteing.
While boiling the potatoes add ½ tsp of salt to the water.