Fiberless ginger 100 g (grate half the ginger and sliver the rest as julienne)
Green chillies 8 to 10 (spliced into 1″ pieces)
Tamarind pulp (thick) from a medium lemon-sized ball soaked in hot water
Powdered jaggery 1 tbsp
Salt 1 tsp or to taste
Fenugreek powder 1 tsp (roast 1 tsp fenugreek seeds till brown and powder)
Asafotida ½ tsp
Turmeric powder ¾ tsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Red chilli powder 1 tsp
Oil 3 tbsp (preferably sesame oil aka gingelly oil)
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok and when hot saute the chilli pieces on a low flame. Add the ginger julienne and grated ginger and saute for a couple of minute.
- Transfer the mix to a dish and keep aside to be used later.
- Heat the remaining oil in the wok and let the mustard seeds crackle.
- Transfer the tamarind pulp to the wok kept on a low flame and add turmeric powder, salt and jaggery to it.
- When the mix starts thickening add the powdered fenugreek, asafotida and the sauteed chilli/ginger mix.
- Leave it on low flame for two minutes and let the mix cool before transferring to a bottle.
- Can be stored for 10 days in the refrigerator.