I wondered what could be baked for Ar-As wedding anniversary when Ar told me she will be coming home on work about her anniversary time. She was planning to fly out from work; therefore rich cake with icing was ruled out. Yogurt cake can stand warm weather up to a day and I ended up making this dellliciiious cake that they both simply loved! 🙂
I followed my old recipe for proportions and baked based on a procedure I picked up from yummly.com. Earlier, the mixing was all manual and I decided to use a blender this time 😀
1½ cups plain flour(maida)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
½ cup (60 g) softened butter
3 eggs (separated)
²/³ cup plain yogurt
1¹⁄³ cups granulated sugar
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180º C.
- Grease a 9″ cake tin and line the base with greased butter paper.
- Sift flour, salt and soda together.
- Separate the yolk and white and beat the white in a bowl until soft peaks are formed. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar to the beaten egg white and whisk till glossy stiff peaks form.
- Cream the butter until very soft and further after adding remaining sugar, egg yolks, lemon zest and lemon juice until the mix looks fluffy. Add flour mix and yogurt to this creamy mix alternately and fold in gently.
- Fold in the stiff peaks of egg white into the mix and pour into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until the top turns golden brown and insert a toothpick to confirm it comes out smooth.
- Leave in the tin for a few minutes before turning out on a wire rack.
Chef’s Note: This cake improves in taste when left uncut for a day! 🙂