Parboiled rice 3 cups
Raw rice 1 cup
Urad dal 1 cup
Methi seeds 1 tsp
Salt 1 tsp (heaped)
Sesame oil ¼ cup
- Soak rice in a bowl in sufficient water overnight after washing it thoroughly in running water. (In case of raw rice alone it is enough to soak for 2 hours)
- Wash urad dal also in sufficient water and add fenugreek seed and soak for at least 2 hours.
- Transfer one half of rice to blender and grind it well till it is a soft paste. Transfer the batter to a bowl and grind the remaining rice to a similar consistency. Transfer the batter the bowl
- Blend urad dal in the mixie to get a soft, foamy consistency of batter. To avoid the batter from getting warm run the blender in short bursts and add very small amounts of water while grinding. Transfer the batter to the bowl, add salt and mix well.
- Keep aside to ferment for at least 4 to 5 hours.
- With a ladle mix the fermented batter well and if the batter is very thick add water to get a slightly thin consistency. The batter should be thick to coat the back of a ladle without running down.
- Heat the griddle on a medium/high flame.When hot enough grease the surface with a greased paper towel and pour a ladle of batter and spread into a thin 6″ pancake and add a few drops of oil to the outer edge
- When the bottom side is cooked flip the dosa and cook the other side too.
- Help yourself with milagai podi, chutney or Sambhar
Chef’s Note: In cold weather keep the batter in a warm corner or inside the oven for quick fermentation.
Keeping the soaked urad dal in refrigerator before grinding will help in avoiding the batter from warming up while grinding. Similarly adding chilled water while grinding avoids heating up of batter