Penne 1 cup (200 g)
Medium-sized onion 1 (smoked in skin)
garlic 2 cloves (crushed)
Tomato puree 1 cup ( from 3 medium-sized tomatos)
Olive oil 1 or 2 tbsp
Green bell pepper 1 (smoked in skin)
Mozarella cheese or Cheddar cheese 2 tbsp (grated)
Milk 1 cup
Butter 25 g ( 1 tbsp softened)
Corn flour/Maida 1 tbsp
Chilli flakes 2 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
Sugar ½ tsp
Pepper powder 1 tsp
Oregano ½ tsp
Parsley ½ tsp (dried)
Basil (dried) 1 tsp
- Boil the pasta in adequate water to al dente point. Drop in cold water and drain the water.
- Smoke the onion in skin and after peeling puree the onion.
- Brush the bell pepper with oil and smoke over fire, remove the skin and dice into thin slivers.
- To make Marinara Sauce: Saute the crushed garlic in olive oil and when the raw smell is gone, saute the onion, add the tomato puree an let it boil for a few minutes ti thicken. Add salt, chilli flakes, sugar and basil.
- Add the sauce to the cooked pasta and mix well.
- White sauce: Melt butter in a pan and stir in the flour to make a smooth paste. Add milk and when it thickens, add the herbs (parsley, oregano), pepper, slivered bell pepper and keep aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C. Grease a baking dish and layer the pasta in the dish and top with white sauce.
- Bake for 20 minutes till the top layer is caramelized.
- Serve hot 🙂