Come winter and it is time to revel in methi greens! I had a lovely surprise when a huge bunch flew in from Delhi! Luckily I had baby potatoes on hand and my Sunday couldn’t have been better. Although I have posted a methi-aloo combo that was with big potatoes and also it had onion and tomato with a different taste and flavor. Comparatively this dish required more efforts but certainly worth it.
Cleaned and washed methi leaves 1 cup
Baby potatoes ½ kg
Oil 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
For the spice mix
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Cumin powder ½ tsp
Red chilli powder 1 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
Tamarind paste/ thick pulp 1 tsp/ 1 tbsp
- Add a cup of water and add ½ tsp salt to it and pressure cook the potatoes for three whistles. On cooling peel the potatoes and keep them ready in a shallow bowl. Add the spice mix and tamarind pulp and mix well and let it marinade for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime cut the cleaned and thoroughly washed and drained fenugreek leaves.
- Heat oil in a wok or heavy-bottomed pan and temper with cumin seeds.
- Transfer the leaves to the wok, add a pinch of salt and saute on low flame for 5 to 7 minutes till the aroma is released.
- Transfer the potatoes to the pan, cover with a lid, and cook on low flame till done.
- Serve hot with chapathis or goes well with rice too.