I wonder whether this post is the best beginning for the year 2017. I guess what matters is to resume blogging and with something that the girls feel needed!
For a long time I used to go with the proportions based on Meenakshi Ammal and get the spices ground in the shop and manage for a few months. With the consumption being less, I realize the flavor is lost after a couple of months and I decide to scale down the quantity and pulverize the spices at home. The texture is not as fine as commercially powdered sambar podi but the flavor is so fresh and fills the place with aroma.
I manage to make about 250 g of powder in place of 1.5 kg I used to make earlier ans find it convenient. Although the main post is for home-made podi, for those who need a larger quantity the proportion is listed in Notes.
Often my sambar podi serves as Rasam podi too as I add cumin seeds in tempering and flavor with peep powder to avoid making separate rasam powder.
Dried red chili 100 g (long variety preferred)
Coriander seeds 100 g
Peppercorn 1 tbsp
Fenugreek seeds 1 tsp
Chana dal 1 tbsp
Arahar dal 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder 1 tbsp
- Heat a wok and keeping it on a low flame dry roast fenugreek seeds As it starts changing color add the peppercorn and rast till the aroma starts wafting. Transfer to a plate
- Dry roast the lentils in the same wok till the color starts changing and transfer to the same plate.
- roast the coriander seeds till it feels crisp but not too long and do not wait for color change. Average of two to three minutes should be good.
- Roast the chilies now till the chilies feels dry and crisp in a minute or two
- Blend the chilies in the mixie till they are flaky. Add the remaining ingredients at room temperature and blitz till you get the finest powder.
- Add the turmeric powder to wards the end and blend to mix
- Let the spice powder cool completely before transfer to airtight container.
- For powder in a larger quantity, I use the rhizome of turmeric and sun dry the chilies and corinder seeds.
- All other ingredients including turmeric are dry roasted.
Red chilies 500 g
Coriander seeds 500 g
Peppercorn 100 g
Turmeric 100 g
Fenugreek seeds 50 g
Chana dal 100 g
Arahar dal 200 g
When done commercially, you can get a fine powder.