Ingredients (12 idlis)
Semolina (chiroti rava) 1 cup
Bread crumbs 1 cup
Yogurt ¾ or 1 cup (as per taste)
Salt ½ tsp or less as bread is salted
Cooking oil 1 tsp
Mustard 1 tsp
Chana dal 1 tbsp
Green chilli 2 (medium) finely diced
Curry leaves 3 sprigs
Asafotida 1 pinch
Eno salt 1 tsp
Water 1 cup
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds to the hot oil. As soon as mustard seeds sputter add chana dal and chilie and saute on low flame. As the color changes add semolina and roast for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer the mix to a bowl and add the finely blitzed breadcrumbs to the mix in the bowl.
- Add the finely diced curry leaves, salt and asafotida to the yogurt and whip well and transfer the mix to the bowl.
- Whisk the batter well to get a thick consistency and let it rest for 30 minutes. Meanwhile grease the idli plates and keep them ready.
- Add eno salt to the batter after 30 minutes and as soon as it froths, transfer the batter to idli plate and steam for 10 minutes to get spongy idlis.
- Serve with chutney or sambhar as per choice
A ladle of normal idli batter added to the mix gives bulk to idlis.