Water 2½ cups
Cleaned fenugreek leaves 2 cups
Tomato puree 1 cup (3 medium-sized tomatoes)
Onion 2 (medium-sized)
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Pepper powder ½ tsp
Red chilli powder (cayenne) ¾ tsp
Ginger-green chilli paste 1 tsp Oil 1 tbsp cumin seeds 1 tsp
Ghee 1 tsp
- Dice onion to thin slices and keep aside. Rinse the cleaned methi leaves in running water, drain and cut them fine.
- Soak basmati in water for 15 minutes and drain excess water. Heat ghee in a wok and saute till aroma wafts out.
- Add oil to pressure pan and when the oil heats up add jeera and let it splutter. Add onion and saute till it turns translucent. Add ginger-chilli paste and saute for a minute before transferring the methi leaves to the mix. Saute methi leaves for a few minutes (3 to 4 min) and add tomato puree.
- Stir in the masala (turmeric powder, pepper, chilli powder) and salt. When mixed well add the sauteed rice and add water.
- Pressure cook for two whistles and wait for rice to cool and the grains to separate before serving.
Chef’s Note You can a cup of shelled peas to the mix while cooking and make it a methi-mattar pulao 🙂